We are Steve and Samantha Vaughan, and we are Oxfordshire Wedding Photographers. We specialise in Documentary Wedding Photography.
Documentary wedding photography (also known as reportage, informal, or even candid style) means we provide a photographic record of your wedding day, from start to finish. We don’t interfere with the flow of your wedding day, and never take over. Instead we work in the background, observing and capturing special, lasting moments. We love what we do, and we are passionate about weddings, and telling the story of the day through our photos. Who was there, what they did, and what happened, so you can look back on your wedding photos in the years ahead and remind yourself of the great time everyone had.
We photograph your wedding, from getting ready (both bride and groom!) all through the day, right through to end of the day, working in partnership, ensuring no aspect of your wedding day is missed. We use quiet, un-obtrusive cameras made by Fujifilm. And we never ask you to say cheese. Ever. Promise.
We guarantee some of your favourite images from your wedding day will be the ones you didn’t know we took.
Documentary wedding photography is not for every couple; however more and more couples are appreciating having natural, unposed wedding photos and spending more time on the day with their family and friends, and less with their photographer!
Have a look at work on this site, read our testimonials, and don’t hesitate to ask us a question.
Contact Steve and Sam
Below, a video slideshow of one of our recent weddings
Some comments from our couples.
- Thanks so much Samantha and Steve for taking all those wonderful pictures at our wedding. We thoroughly enjoyed them, especially the reportage style ones. All our family have said how wonderful the photos are, and I believe they have all ordered some. Samantha, a big thank you for your amazing help during the day! I think you did a lot of bridesmaid duties as well as taking great photographs. Steve a huge thank you to you, for without your expertise and friendly support we doubt we would have made it through the photos.Nairne and Lee
- Steve and Sam were excellent at our wedding. They're lovely people, which is the most important thing, but also combined professionalism with a sense of fun. Getting the right shots whilst not being intrusive is a real skill which Steve and Sam have in abundance.Sam concentrated on the "candid" shots which we found to be a brilliant element to the final offering - loads of really lovely, emotional and amusing vignettes of the day. We now have a wonderful visual document of our big day to treasure and would like to thank the guys for doing such a great job. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend SSVPhotography to anyone!Edita and Neil
- OWH wow Steve and Sam. Honestly these are truly amazing we are so happy. You have made everything so perfect and captured the atmosphere with these images. So fantastic. Thank you so so much!!! And I Really hope it wasn't too much hard work for you both! Thanks again, we love our wedding photos!Emma and Matt
- We had the privilege of having Sam and Steve to capture all the perfect moments from our wedding on the 12th July, we seriously cannot thank them enough, the pictures are fantastic we are over the moon with them, lots of our guests have commented on how great they are and very different from your usual wedding photograph
ers. Every moment has been captured so naturally, we have been able to look through and see all the fun our guests had. We had a fantastic day and the pictures just prove everyone else did too. They went over and beyond what we expected of them, Sam helped me into my dress and fixed everyone's button holes on like a true pro, more like having 2 extra friends around, didn't even notice they were snapping away most of the time. So thanks a lot Sam and Steve, you made our day. Highly recommende d to anyone and everyone :))))Emma and Ricky
- I just wanted to say a really big thank you for the photography you did for us. The photo’s are absolutely brilliant as discussed with you beforehand I wanted you to just take pictures of people without them knowing nothing structured (unless asked) and that is what you did fantastically. So many people have said that they didn’t even realise you were taking pictures of them as you just blended in and wasn’t in anyones face. The pictures that you have taken are all brilliant I am so very happy with the job you did and would have no hesitation what so ever recommending you. Once again thank you so very much for capturing the event and giving us some very happy memories to keep forever. Wishing you every success you really deserve it. Very best wishes Jayne & Mark ForthJane and Mark Forth
- Amazing, amazing, amazing. Sam and Steve have done the most wonderful job on our wedding photos. It was an absolute pleasure to have you both photograph our wedding day, you were both so professional and not invasive at all, you caught everything we wanted and more to a standard higher than we ever imagined. Since the day, you've been informative, helpful and we have every faith our chosen wedding album will be absolutely perfect, if it's anything like the examples we've seen. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend SSVPhotography to anybody wanting photographers. Thanks again xxRachel and Ross
- Samantha and Steve are a very talented couple. They offered a friendly and professional touch to our wedding day, delivered with lots of charm. We loved our photos and enjoyed showing them off to all our friends and family. Both photographers each had their personal take on the day, worked great as team and everything ran seamlessly and smoothly without any worries. They knew how to get the best out of our guests and surroundings and provided us with a range of varied shots as we requested. They understood us and what we wanted very well and we have no problem recommending them to anyone looking for a photography service for any occasion and budget.Heidi and Matt
- We are over the moon with our wedding pictures! Steve and Sam made us so relaxed on our wedding day and were well worth every penny. Would definitely recommend them.Sophie and Steve
How we photograph a wedding, click on the headings to find out more.
Quiet cameras, and no flash, means we are allowed to take photographs throughout the ceremony, whether in a church or registered location. One photographer will be at the front during the ceremony, taking photographs of the kiss, exchanging of rings, and signing the register, whilst the other works at the back of the venue, capturing you coming down the aisle, and the reactions of your guests.
After all the planning, preparation, and organising, time to let your hair down and have FUN. We recognise you want to have time with your family and friends, and not to be dragged of for hours of photographs whilst they are waiting for you! We will take the group shoots you want, although we encourage you to keep them to a minimum. We will provide you with a photographic record of the speeches, cake cutting and bouquet presentations, as well as everyone enjoying celebrating your wedding day.
Our latest blog updates
The latest in our look back at some of our favourite images from our 2015 weddings takes us to the month of May, and the Oxfordshire wedding of Beckley. Jeanie and Tom’s wedding was a traditional church wedding held in the lovely village church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, followed by a…Details
The latest in our series of our favourite wedding photos from our 2015 work also, likes last weeks post, come from the wedding of Sue and Mikey. This also features on the slide show on our home page. This photo is all about Samantha, and her artists eye. Not long after Sam and I…Details
As we are now heading into Winter 2015, its a good time to look back on a busy and successful year for Samantha and I. (Not that we have finished photographing weddings this year, we still have several more including, a first for us, Jodie and Rio’s wedding on New Year’s Eve). This…Details
We had a wonderful day with Rachel, Ross, and their friends and family at their fabulous wedding venue, Heythrop Park, near Chipping Norton. The early August weather was kind to all, and the sun shone all day. As documentary wedding photographers, we always start the day with the bride and groom, in their respective…Details
The July 2015 wedding of Hannah and Karl in Great Broughton, near Banbury, was a little different for us. For a variety of reasons, I shot this wedding alone, without Samantha. Hannah didn’t want bridal preparation photography, so the day started from me with Karl, his friends and family at the Bell Inn, which is…Details
The Wiltshire wedding of Claire and Matt was a pleasure to photograph. We first met Claire and Matt at a wedding fair, and we connected very quickly. They liked our documentary wedding approach, and the way we photograph a wedding without lots of intervention on our part. Instead of providing a pre-wedding shoot, Sam agreed…Details
Despite some unseasonably wet weather for June, Sophie and Steve’s wedding in Bicester was a delight to provide documentary wedding photography for. Our day started as normal with Samantha joining the lovely bride Sophie at their house on the new Kingsmere development in Bicester, whilst I started with Steve and his groomsmen at his parents house…Details
It was a lovely experience to provide the Witney Wedding Photography for Carly and Leo in May 2015. Actually, to be more accurate, the wedding was at the St. Kenelm’s Church in Minster Lovell. This is a lovely Oxfordshire country church, made even more lovely in that it backs on to the ruins of Mister Lovell…Details
The Oxfordshire Wedding of Jeanie and Tom in the lovely village of Beckley was a special occasion, not least for Samantha and I, as we got to combine both of our businesses; our Oxfordshire Wedding Photography and also the country pub the Abingdon Arms. Beckley is a small Oxfordshire Village, situated between Oxford and Bicester,…Details
Our first wedding of 2015 was held at Coseley Church, near Wolverhampton, with a reception at Somerford Hall, Brewood, Staffordshire, in April. Although we are Bicester Wedding Photographers, we will photographer anywhere in the country. It was very much a family affair; of course most weddings are, but in this case, we mean OUR family…Details